When we hear the name “SpongeBob SquarePants,” we all feel a great amount of joy. This iconic, animated series has impacted the lives of people all over the world and at every age in more ways than imaginable. In fact, “every four seconds, someone in the world is talking about SpongeBob on social media” (source: press release). It’s clear to see that SpongeBob SquarePants has touched the lives of many through episodes of the show, consumer products, theatrical releases, a Broadway musical and beyond. There is no show quite like SpongeBob SquarePants.
Well, did you know that SpongeBob SquarePants has been bringing happiness and a whole lot of laughs to fans for 20 years?! Yes, 20!! For a show this sensational, only the most epic celebration must be in store to celebrate this milestone, don’t you guys agree? Nickelodeon just announced all of the excitement that is set to take place to welcome in 20 years of SpongeBob SquarePants and everyone should get ready for loads of fun that will ensue.
Nickelodeon is commemorating 20 years of SpongeBob SquarePants with the “Best Year Ever.” The “Best Year Ever” will begin on Friday, July 12th with the premiere of an all-new, original special titled, “SpongeBob’s Big Birthday Blowout,” which will be a live-action and animated adventure for viewers to enjoy.
Let’s learn more about the special here: “It’s SpongeBob’s birthday in “SpongeBob’s Big Birthday Blowout,” which features for the first time the celebrated voice talent behind SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Sandy, Squidward and Plankton playing live-action doppelgänger versions of the animated characters they voice. In the one-hour special, Patrick and SpongeBob journey to the surface world, where they come across a few familiar characters during lunchtime rush at The Trusty Slab restaurant. Meanwhile, the Bikini Bottom residents set up a surprise party for SpongeBob” (source: press release).
“The tiny residents of Bikini Bottom have held the world’s attention for a remarkable 20 years and we owe it all to the monumental creator Stephen Hillenburg,” said Ramsey Naito, EVP, Animation Production and Development, Nickelodeon. “This anniversary special is a love letter to everyone in the universe of SpongeBob, from the fans across the globe to the incredible creative team, crew and talent who continue to bring these great characters to life” (source: press release).
But, it doesn’t stop there! Nickelodeon revealed more of its plans to honor 20 years of SpongeBob SquarePants including “a new product line by master toy partner Alpha Group, featuring figures that showcase SpongeBob’s iconic meme moments; collaborations with lifestyle brand Cynthia Rowley for a SpongeBob wetsuit and international mixed-media artist Romero Britto; the launch of a dedicated YouTube channel and mobile game; and more” (source: press release).
We can’t wait to head on over to Bikini Bottom and join the party! SpongeBob SquarePants is truly an unrivaled show and we’re so excited to celebrate a series that has and continues to mean so much to generations after generations.
Check out some more highlights of Nickelodeon’s SpongeBob SquarePants “Best Year Ever” below and be sure to mark your calendars and tune in to the premiere of “SpongeBob’s Big Birthday Blowout” on July 12th!
(source: press release)
- This summer, Nick will premiere some of the funniest new SpongeBob episodes ever, which will put the characters in situations they’ve never been in before: SpongeBob closes the gap in his teeth and his personality changes; his dream comes true when he becomes boss for the day at The Krusty Krab; and Plankton and Karen, somehow, have a baby.
- New global master toy partner Alpha Group will debut a brand-new line of toys, collectibles, plush and novelties. The imaginative range includes: a “Masterpiece Meme” line of vinyl figures, bringing to life fan-favorite viral memes like Mocking SpongeBob, Imaginaaation SpongeBob, Surprised Patrick, SpongeGar and Handsome Squidward; and for the first-time ever, SpongeBob toys that incorporate Nickelodeon Slime. Select toys are available now on Amazon and will roll out to other retailers worldwide.
- New categories launching in consumer packaged goods and health and beauty, including the first-ever range of SpongeBob cosmetics, as well as special-edition product.
- The debut of an official global SpongeBob SquarePants YouTube channel, featuring the most iconic SpongeBob moments, music from the show, brand-new content, including the short-form series “Bikini Bottom Mysteries,” which explores the secrets, scandals, and unsolved mysteries of SpongeBob SquarePants, and more. Themed content added weekly will include Tuesday Tunes, Throwback Thursdays and SpongeBob Saturdays.
- Launch of a brand-new global mobile game, which will allow fans to share SpongeBob’s experience of being a fry cook in Bikini Bottom.
- Brand-new short-form content across YouTube, Facebook, Facebook Watch, Instagram and Twitter, celebrating fans and their favorite episodes, cast moments and more.
Art and Fashion Partnerships
- The lifestyle brand Cynthia Rowley featured a SpongeBob SquarePants wetsuit in their New York Fashion Week runway show on Tuesday, Feb. 12.
- International artist Romero Britto will reimagine SpongeBob SquarePants with his trademark vibrant, bold and colorful style in a mixed media art installation that will be exhibited at pop-up SpongeBob experiences across the U.S.